An interdisciplinary team of doctors, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, nurses, social workers, psychologist, prosthetists and orthotists works under the department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation or Physiatry. The coordinated work aims at maximizing the functional abilities of people with disabilities. Various clinico-pathological conditions ( listed below) which lead to physical/neurological impairments are taken care through outpatient and inpatient services.
read more +
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain Injury due to trauma and other causes
- Developmental disorders such as cerebral palsy, spinal dysraphism
- Amputations of the extremities
- Rheumatological conditions
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Chronic pain
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation otherwise called Physiatry department takes over the continuing medical needs and rehab care of disabled patients who had sustained a severe neurologic or devastating orthopaedic conditions.
Physiatrist takes over patients to the department once the acute critical condition or surgical period is over and does the detailed assessment and management of disabling condition and comorbidities. We set an integrated rehab goal for maximum independency of the patient. We seek for interdepartmental consultations, if needed, analyzing the medical condition in the due time. Physiatrists organize and co-ordinate needed therapies after setting an integrated care plan in consultation with the family.
- Supporting therapy units in Physical Medicine and rehabilitation department includes:
- Physiotherapy- for physical fitness and gait training
- Occupational therapy- for Activities of Daily Life(ADL) and Hand function training
- Speech therapy-for safe swallow technique and speech training
- Orthotic unit(out sourced)- for providing supporting equipment’s like splints, braces etc.
PMR doctors conduct in-patient Stroke rehab, Brain injury rehab, Spinal cord injury rehab and other orthopaedic /neuromuscular disease rehabilitation. We arrange sequential counselling sessions with the patients family, set goals and make an integrated short term in patient rehab care plan or home care program for the patient.
Chronic pain management interventions, Spasticity management and Diabetic foot care clinic prescribing the modified foot wears also happens under the department of Physiatry.
Read less -