Interventional radiology is a fast growing subspecialty of radiology in which minimally invasive image guided vascular procedures are performed in each and every organ system of body from head to toe. These procedures are performed by interventional radiologist in cathlab through a pinhole in the groin using small puncture needle, wires and catheters under C-arm guidance. All the vascular emergencies can be dealt by interventional radiologist and also it is playing an important supporting role to other specialities. Apart from vascular problems, non-vascular procedures like percutaneous liver, renal and lung tumour ablation, biopsy, PTBD and stenting also performed.
read more +
The advantage of Interventional Radiology is, minimizes the physical trauma to the patient by avoiding major surgical incision, lesser hospital stay, faster recovery time and lesser chances of infection.The procedures can be performed in critically ill patient who are not otherwise fit for major surgical procedures.
- It is cheaper than traditional surgery.
- No surgical scar on skin.
- Procedure done under local / short anesthesia.
- It is done as day care or short hospital stay.
- Patients can resume normal activities within one to two day.
- It is less risky as compared to surgery.
- Its safety has been proven over many years in thousands of people.
Read less -